Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Bits and Bobs

So, what have I been up to?
Well, I finished the last repeat of the budding lace repeat on Swallowtail #2 at the Tilley's Stitch and Bitch last night. I'm glad to be done with that, it was getting quite tiresome:

I'm still not sure that I like the yarn choice, except of course it always looks much better after blocking.

I've been to the 2 northside S&B's and they were great. It turns out that other people are not as scary as they're cracked up to be! It was lovely to be sharing knitting with other people. In a way, there doesn't seem to be much point if there's no one to share it with. I've been going to see my grandmother in the hospital to show her what I'm working on, and she looks approvingly at my work, but can't speak. She was looking closely at Swallowtail #1 and having a good feel of it, so at least we can still share knitting in one direction...

I've been planning future projects. I'm keen to try the Spring Shawl from Heirloom Knitting. It'll be a challenge, but if I just take my time and take it easy, I'll get there eventually. So I've been trying to find an economical way to do the shawl, and trying to use what I have instead of buying more and more yarn, so I was thinking of dyeing that 31 wpi merino I showed off last post, and in an effort to be really cheap, I was thinking of dyeing it with food colouring, because I've had some success with it in the past. So here is a sample of "Pillar Box Red", and I think it's pretty much the colour I want.

Of course the problem with cutting too many corners expense-wise is that you're at risk of spending many months of your life making a pile of crap. I should probably do this properly and just spend the money. But what the hell am I going to do with that lovely merino? I keep changing my mind.

Another piece in the works is an asymmetrical cardigan in Cleckheaton Vintage Hues. Spotlight was having a sale, and there they were, bags and bags of the stuff for $3 a ball. I just couldn't bear to walk away. I almost did, and 10 metres later I turned back again and jumped in. I got 20 balls, which should be more than enough for a nice cardy. I'm getting a bit sick of my tatty old handspun altered Central Park Hoodie which I've been wearing for 2 Winters now. So here's a sample of Vintage Hues in moss stitch:

The transition looks lovely and soft in moss stitch, but I know that on the cardie they're going to be quite narrow stripes, and I'm not sure how flattering that will be for my, um, voluptuous proportions... Nonetheless, I've measured it up after washing, and it's 15 st/inch, and of course moss stitch is so incredibly flexible anyway. So next I just need to sit down with the calculator and work out how many stitches I need etc. and where to do the waist shaping. I got this idea after seeing Buttony. Looking forward to the finished product.
Ooh, ooh, I'm sitting out on the front porch writing this, and the postie just arrived with my sample card from Bendigo Woollen Mills! I'm so excited I have to look at them right now!
Mmmmmm, drool.... (excuse me while I wipe the keyboard). It's all too much! So many beautiful colours!! Aaaaaarrrgghhhh!!! I get paid on Thursday, and now all of it is already spoken for! I guess it's porridge and rice again for the next fortnight. I am definitely getting the 2 ply in Guava for Laminaria! It's heavenly.....
Anyway, where was I? Ah yes. Here are some close-ups of the nupps on Swallowtail #1 for Bells:

They weren't really very hard, just a bit cumbersome at first until you get the tension right. Think of it this way, if you think they're pretty loose, make them looser. It can be really hard to get the needle through them all on the purl row if they're not really loose. After a couple of rows of them, they fly by, and they really do look quite nice really.
One final thing:
I bought this cute little guy at the Gormon House Markets in the early months of the year. He has a zip on top and is lined with fabric and is just perfect for my camera to stay safe in. He's so gorgeous I just wanted to share him.
By the way, I've finished my annual report, so I'm not being naughty!

1 comment:

Bells said...

hey there - it was lovely to meet you too! So glad you came along. Look at all your lovely work - and thanks for a close up on the nupps. Maybe I'll do them.....

One's first Bendigo shade card is a fabulous moment. Savour it. Will look forward to seeing what you get!

I think I am going to make a CPH before next winter too. It looks fun.