Monday, December 22, 2008

In which Disquina makes more work for herself.

Time for a monster post.

So, what's news?
Well, by now one would expect me to be posting about a lovely finished Swallowtail Shawl, because in the last post I was saying how I had finally finished the repeats on the budding lace. However. Because I had only just finished the same shawl not long ago, I didn't look at the pattern for some reason, and when I tried the first row of the lily of the valley pattern and found the stitches didn't add up, I realised that instead of doing 14 repeats of the budding lace repeat, I had done 16. Well I contemplated ripping back to the 14th repeat, but then thought "ah bugger it, the shawl is too small anyway, I'll make it larger!". So I pulled out the calculator and worked out how many repeats of this that and the other etc., and then found that someone on Ravelry had already worked it all out, which is a relief, because when I alter patterns I have anxiety attacks the whole time I'm knitting in case I've buggered it up.

So I kept knitting, but in the back of my mind a wise voice was telling me "you don't have enough yarn, idjit, what are you doing?". And of course the voices were right, as usual. So now I have to order more of the Regia, and have found that I can only get this colourway from Germany or France. So, after Christmas when money is less scarce I'll order another ball and hope that the dyelot difference isn't really obvious.

Next: Why I haven't posted lately - finished objects:

Pattern: Coronet Design doilie/doiley/doyley from The First Book of Modern Lace Knitting by Marianne Kinzel.
Yarn: Some cheap maroon cotton I bought from Spotlight many years ago. They don't seem to have it anymore. It's about a 4 ply or size 8.
Needles: 2.75mm.
I reckon: This was fun. I've never knitted flat in the round before, and it was a great learning experience. This doilie is quite large, about 40cm across.
It's a Christmas present for my beloved grandmother. I starched it (which I've never done in my life). I boiled some cornflour in water and soaked the doilie for a couple of minutes and then pinned it out. It sure is solid. I'm not sure how solid doilies are supposed to be! This one was actually just going to be a trial, and I was just going to do a couple of rows before starting a white one in mercerised cotton, but you know how it goes, I couldn't put it down, so I just finished it.

Next:

Pattern: Extermiknit
Yarn: Lincraft Cozy Wool (grey) and Cleckheaton Country 8 ply (black).
Needles: 3mm
I reckon: Very fun to knit. Weighted with a homemade sandbag in the bottom. I don't think I'll do the sandbag again, it makes it less cuddly. Xmas present for hubby's cousin.

So, what about that order from Bendigo Woollen Mills?
mmmmmmmm.......

aaaaaahhhhhhhhh........
The green 2 ply (Guava) is about to become Laminaria as soon as xmas knitting is over. As for the Cherry Red 2 ply, well I keep changing my mind. I was thinking of various lacey shawls, but I've also been contemplating a design of my own. That one is still on the backburner.
As for the Red Tweed fibre, well it'll wait around for a while, but depending on how well the spinning comes out, it'll probably be a jumper or something. There is a kilo of the stuff! So cheap! I was a bit annoyed that BWM overcharged me, although it was only by $1.50 or something. The wool is all so cheap that it really would be ridiculous to complain. They've really expanded their colour range since the last sample card I got in 2006. The colours are much more usable I think.

So there's just one more piece of xmas knitting to finish as quickly as possible before we go on our travels around beautiful Victoria (during which we'll drop in on BWM in case there's anything I missed...), Coronet #2. This one's in DMC Cébélia (size 10) on 2.25mm needles:
I was worried about using mercerised cotton, because the last time I tried to knit with it, it was so slippery it just drove me nuts, but I'm knitting this on some cheap plastic dpns, and the cotton sticks to them quite well. This one is for Hubby's grandmother whom we're having xmas with this year. I thought a doilie and a jar of homemade strawberry jam would be a nice present for a fine elderly lady I hardly know.

Hubby's present. I have no pictures yet, but I can talk about it freely because he doesn't read this. There's a guy at the Kingston Bus Depot Markets who sells these lovely skeins of several types of wool, some dyed, some natural. I bought three 300g skeins of brown perendale 8 ply which will become a Norwegian Lusekofta jumper with the patterning in natural white from the same guy. This is one project I'm really looking forward to. I've squished the skeins into a box and wrapped it up. I chucked a few heavy candles in there too so he doesn't guess what it is from the weight. He's completely mystefied, which is exactly how it should be!

One last thing. Lately I've been hearing a lot of bad-mouthing about blogs. I don't know why anyone even bothers to complain about them. If you don't like it, don't read it! I know that the idea of reading what some stranger thinks or does seems boring to the average smarty pants, but the amount of knowledge I have picked up from blogs is phenomenal. We learn from eachother, we interact with eachother and we learn even more. Perhaps 50-90% of what I write here is boring, but somebody somewhere may learn something new and expand their world, and that is the most important thing I can think of.

2 comments:

Bells said...

I'm with you on the blog thing. A friend of mine said, 'It's so conceited to think anyone would actually give a shit about anything you do or write.'

Hm. Let's ignore how rude that was and focus on the fact that she's utterly missing the point. It's information sharing, experience sharing, connecting, expressing and so much more.

Bummer about swallowtail! And I'm so impressed with the doily! My first attempt at that pattern is languishing untouched because I couldn't get it right. I will try again.

that dalek is a hoot!

DiNa said...

The doily is a pain to start off I think, but after the first few cumbersome rows it starts to become enjoyable!
I love reading people's blogs. There is no way I could possibly find so many people in Canberra who are interested in the same things as I am.