Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Woopidoo

Well I'm back at last, and I've finished the Swallowtail Shawl. Here it is just after casting off, before blocking:


Being blocked (on a blanket wrapped around a huge piece of cardboard from a recent Ikea acquisition - unfortunately the main blanket is grey, the same grey as the wool):

And some close-ups of course:


And me wearing it, front:

Back:

Whew. Talk about procrastination of a lifetime. I've been frantically knitting this in order to avoid writing my Annual Report and Thesis Proposal Review. I'm trying to be half good, so I haven't allowed myself to blog, hence why I haven't posted recently.

What I think about working this pattern:
Nupps - At first I was wondering "why the hell make nupps? They're a pain in the arse and look like a mess", but now I see why. They were a bit painful at first, but if you just allow heaps of slack, it's not too much of a drama.

Cast-off - I love the cast-off used in this pattern, I've never seen it before - k1, *k1, k2tog*, repeat to end. It's a lovely springy edge, not tight and ugly as they often are.

Size - it's a bit small, but I knew it was going to be.

Wool - not the best colour, a bit scratchy, and fibres seem to come off, float around and make me sneeze, but I guess you can't expect too much for a $5 handspun bargain. I weighed the shawl when it was done - 152g - I weighed the remains of the ball - 153g - a bit creepy.
The pattern - once I used my brain, it was really easy and clear to follow.

So I was thinking that next I would finish that Versatility adaptation I mentioned in the last post, but it keeps buggering up! Very irritating. So, for the moment, I'm going to do something I didn't plan to do, I'm going to knit the shawl again! I have this variegated sock yarn in blues and greens made by Regia (the photo of which I have temporarily misplaced). It's just to fill in the gap until I can afford some yarn for something more substantial. I'm in the mood for lace at the moment, and I just don't feel like working on the other projects waiting in line...

Speaking of lace, I've joined in on A Long Lacy Summer on Bells's blog to keep me motivated, although it's all casual, so I won't get too worked up. I'm considering making a doilie or a lace tablecloth from Marianne Kinzel's First Book of Modern Lace Knitting which is funny, because Bells is too. I need to get some cotton though, so next payday will be the decider.

Something else new for me is that I may, possibly, go to Stitch and Bitch tomorrow night in Civic. I'm scared. I tried to get someone to come with me, but to no avail. The message says newbies are welcome and all that, but I'm not accustomed to new people and all that. I'm such a coward. I really will try to go, although it is on Uni Pub kebab night, which is breaking my heart.

I've also joined Ravelry, and am terrified of the potential it has to suck entire weeks out of my life. There is just so much candy to taste that I'm at risk of becoming morbidly obese with knitty treasures. Lordy me.
One last thing, because I really have to get back to writing that report. The shawl I wore for my wedding. It was knitted by my grandmother for my mum to wear at my parents' wedding, which was in about 1973 I believe. I was married back in April this year. The pictures don't show the shawl all that well:
Hubby looks pretty freaked out in the last one. Well he was freaked out. He wouldn't look at me for the first half of the ceremony because he thought he might cry! In a good way though!

The shawl is a lovely length, made from handspun silk. It feels like heaven and is nice and warm for a mid-Autumn afternoon. I gave it back to Mum, and don't have any decent photo's of it. I'll see if I can get some. In case you were wondering, the dress was made by my favourite clothes designer in the universe, High Tea with Mrs. Woo, a Newcastle (Australia) designer.
Blogger is an effing pain in the arse to use.

Back to work!

1 comment:

Bells said...

Oh that wedding shawl! What a treat to have that!

Your swallowtail is lovely. I always thought I'd pass on the nupps, but maybe not since you say they were ok.

Did you go to SnB?