Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Stupid Happy Girl

Here I am at last. I've moved house, back to Mum and Dad's place; I swore I wouldn't ever do it, but you would never predict the situation that has arisen in our lives at the moment.
The bamboo scarf is finished.

Yes, sorry, it's an extremely crappy picture. There's a problem. It's far too long. In fact it's about twice the length it should be. I was so keen to finish the ball that it didn't occur to me that maybe I didn't need to finish it. So you know what I'm going to do - I'm going to rip out half of it. I haven't gathered the courage to do it yet, and new projects have kept me from thinking about it too much, but if I don't do it, I'm just going to have this beautiful scarf hanging in the cupboard for the rest of my days, and it would be such a waste. Anyway, it'll mean having more bamboo yarn to do something with. When I get this done then I'll take a proper photo.

The chevron scarf is on its way.


Here it is after one row was completed - all 453 stitches (it's knitted lengthwise). I spent hours casting on and doing that first row (the first row is always the worst) and the next day realised that I had made a great error, and ripped it all and started over, only to realise once I had cast on all 453 stitches again that I hadn't actually done anything wrong in the first place! Stupid girl! You live and you learn. So here it is about 10 rows in:


And you can already see the zigs and zags coming through:


I'm having great fun with this one. Do you like my colours? Well I do. I don't know why it's suddenly come to me that I have to knit all these scarves. This one should be done pretty quickly, and then I have a couple more projects up my sleeve.

Guess what I got for my birthday?


eep! So pretty. Noro Silk Garden. 45% silk, 45% kid mohair, 10% lambswool. I chose two different colours so I could use the beautiful slip-stitch pattern in Boo, Too from Knitty. I have to use them wisely, as this is all I could get. I'm thinking of mitten-type thingo's which go up the arm for as long as I can get the balls to go. Arm-warmers I suppose. The other option is of course a scarf, but I already have more than I can use, and Winter only lasts for one more month. Oh I am ever so happy.

The other project in the pipes is Snowball's Chance in Hell from The AntiCraft for a friend of mine who I think would love them. She's one of my favourite people, and I thought she deserves something funky. Only problem is that you have to measure the person who's going to wear them. How will I manage that? Maybe I'll have to get her really drunk.

1 comment:

NattyChick said...

Oooooh nice! I just got two balls of Noro Silk Garden also. I love how that chevron scarf is turning out too. Good work.

www.nattychick.typepad.com