Monday, March 02, 2009

Lace Love

Firstly, congratualtions to Bells for her winning knitting in the Canberra Show! Couldn't have gone to anyone more deserving I say!
So the Long Lacy Summer is over, and what have I achieved? Where to begin? I'll start with tangible achievements. Finished items were Swallowtail Shawl #1, Coronet #1 and Coronet #2. All happy achievements. I particularly enjoyed the doilies. The rows are constantly changing, so there's always something to keep you on your toes. Swallowtail was good, but a little simple, especially once I had the pattern repeat drummed into my head through repetition. The nupps were a new challenge though, and I'm certainly not frightened of them any more.
Now unfinished items. Swallowtail #2 languishes miserably on the bottom shelf of my knitting shelf. I had accidentally done more repeats that I needed to, so I thought I would just make it a bit bigger instead, and then of course I ran out of yarn. I found more of it for sale on a few sites, two in Germany and one in France, but as it was just before xmas I just thought I'd wait till after when I would have money to spare, but whaddayaknow, I can no longer find those websites! So, either I'll be ripping it back to the correct number of repeats, or attempting to re-write the pattern again to fit in the yarn I have. Sigh. I'll just put it back on the shelf for the moment...
And the other unfinished, my beloved Laminaria! Oh I love this shawl so much. I did get a little tired of the seventeen repeats of the eight-row blossom pattern, which of course expands every row, but I am on the edging now and just loving it. In fact, I am only 9 rows away from the end!
I wish I could have had it finished by February 28, but of course life gets in the way. I love this shawl so much. I just can't wait to wear it. I'm planning to make a shawl pin to go with it. Have I mentioned that I'm a gold and silver smith? Well I am. I'll do a full blurb on the joys of this pattern when I finish it as well as what my next lacey plan is.
I have had so much fun knitting lace this Summer. I have learned amazing things and feel confident that I could knit anything now. I have been searching around for more challenging patterns and have started developing my own lace patterns. I'm hoping, when I find the time, to write up some patterns for people to try out. Lace knitting makes you really feel knitting. Individual stitches are like words in a language describing the shapes in the lace, and they all come together to form this apparently effortless whole. I really can not emphasise enough how much charts make life easier. I know there are people out there who refuse to use them; I used to be one of them! My god, charts are the most fantastic invention since dpns. I would never bother to knit lace without a chart again.
So, thanks Bells for motivating me to finally knit some lace! I'll never look back now. Let's do it again next Summer!
Now, while the lace will certainly not end with Summer, Winter will be upon us in no time, and I really must get on with some jumpers for me and my man. Our house is going to be freezing, and I never have enough Winter clothes. I'm also planning some nice felted house booties to keep us cozy through the icy months. So much knitting to do. I'm sure I'm not the only knitter who has been irritated at only having two arms. How much more knitting could be done with just one extra pair!

4 comments:

Bron said...

kroh that looks pretty! =)
you did so much better than i did with lacing this summer!
I'm intriguied by the doilies though - that's something i might have to try for myself soon =)

DiNa said...

Oh I think every knitter should try doilies! This one is quick and satisfying. Pity I don't know what you're supposed to do with them afterwards! I gave mine to some special elderly ladies!

Bells said...

Oh what a lovely post! And thank you! I'm adding this to my file of 'wrap up' posts which I promise I'll get to soon. Great work! Certainly you did more than I did!

DiNa said...

Thanks Bells!
I've just pinned out Laminaria, so the next post will be the grande finale for this project.