Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Spinning, Skulls and Procrastination

Well, as promised, here's a piccie of my latest spinning adventure:
Of course the colours never come out right in these pictures. I took about 20 and just had to make do with this one. Both are Merino. The one on the left was spun from some prepared and dyed fleece that my aunt bought for me from the Canberra Spinners and Weavers shop. It turned into this almost navy blue with greenish and purple highlights. The one on the right was from some fleece that a girl called Monica gave me. She was a housemate of a friend who I was visiting. I saw her spinning wheel in the lounge room and asked her about it and we started yakking for a bit and she ended up giving me this lovely Merino which she had dyed herself. I forgot to give her my phone number so we could get together and have some knitting sessions, and now she's moved out of my friend's house. I'm trying to track her down, because it gets lonely knitting on my lonesome!
Anyway, I spun them both and then plied them with this lovely lime green silk I bought on eBay. You can't tell from the photo, but both of the skeins have a kind of irridescent quality. I'm thinking up plans for each of them. I have about two small skeins of the navy, and I'm planning to try out Branching Out, a lacy scarf from Knitty. I know it won't look quite how it was intended to look, since my handspun is a little bulky and lumpy, but I thought it couldn't hurt to try, and I think that this wool just has to be used for lace, it just has that kind of quality about it.
The greener skein I have only a tiny bit of, quite a small skein. I wasn't sure what exactly to do with it, and I showed it to someone and she said that the colours reminded her of the sea, and I immediately pictured the yarn in wave stitch. So, I'm going to see if I have enough to make myself a lacy wave stitch beanie/cap thingo. The weather's starting to get absolutely freezing here in Canberra (Australia), so any useful beanie should be nice and thick, but I was never one for being practical. So they're projects for the future.
Here's some progress on the bag:
I've finished my second repeat of the skull motif, and I just need to knit four more rows then start reducing for the bottom of the bag. That little bit of green in the middle there is some scrap yarn to be pulled out so a pocket can be knitted in next. Getting there. Actually, I really wish I had one more dpn for this project. To allow for the skulls I had to increase 10 stitches more than the pattern, and the stitches are constantly almost falling off the ends of the needles. It makes me nervous! I've never seen sets of 5 dpn's here in Australia, and I'm sure as Hell not going to go and buy another set. Eight bucks? I need to eat God damn it!

I seem to be very rare as a knitter in that I usually only have one project going at a time. You see I am a perpetual dropper of projects, and I just know that if I stop one to start another, it's more than likely that I'll never finish the first. I have to force myself to keep dreaming of the next projects while I soldier on with what I've started. If I do start a new project in the middle of another one, it's usually because I hate what I was doing anyway, so it usually ends up getting ripped out. I also don't really have time to knit. I do it, but I'm not supposed to be doing it. You see I'm actually in my honours year at uni, and I just can't afford the time to knit, even though I do it anyway. My mid-year review comes up soon, so I'm freaking out a bit, but I just keep on knitting. Lordy me I'm terrible.

No comments: