Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Dyeing to use a bad pun...

Okay, where do I begin? I have no pictures at the moment, but I've been dyeing like mad. I did several batches of Eucalyptus cinerea which worked beautifully. I got the most gorgeous rich oranges. The other day I looked at them and decided that they would look very nice as a scarf worn with black, for when I need to look a little classy for exhibition openings and wotnot. So I just did a simple scarf in garter stitch but with gigantic needles, about 15mm. It came out beautifully. Really simple but effective. I'm certain that the key to elegance is simplicity. I'll post a picture tomorrow or so. Maybe, just maybe, I'll model it for the camera...maybe...
I have a couple of branches of E. nicholii, another eucalypt that produces oranges, I'll try them soon, but I have to spin some more now, since my skein collection is running low.
I've tried out the grape flavoured Kool-Aid (thank you secret pal) and have a lovely purple (which smells like bubble gum). I'll try the watermelon-cherry flavour after a bit of spinning. I can't believe people give this stuff to their children to consume. I really like having teeth, they enable me to eat solids. Anyway, my aunt got excited about the Kool-Aid and checked it out on the net, and discovered that you can also dye wool with jelly! Well, that's readily available here, so I'll give it a go. The wool must get a bit gooey, but some of the colours would be fun. I discovered one source of Kool-Aid for Australia, but it only seems to have the sweetened varieties, and I hear that you shouldn't use them for dyeing.
Yesterday I acquired some madder root from my grandmother's spinning group. I'm excited about trying that out too. It seems fairly straight forward. Not like using indigo, which I read about last night. Complicated. You can't even drip anything into the dye bath. I don't know how the hell I'm going to manage that.
Anyway. I need to have a bit of a whinge. I don't want this blog to become my diary, because reading people's diaries is somewhat akin to having bamboo shoots shoved under your fingernails. However, stuff isn't so good. I've been evicted from my lovely flat. I have to be out a couple of days after my birthday (happy birthday Dina, now get the hell out). I can't find anywhere to move that I can afford, so I have to go back to my parents' house for a while, which I swore I would never do. I also found out today that I have to take leave from uni until next year. I am going to be stuck in a hell hole with my two angry f---ed up parents, one with a superiority complex, the other with an alcohol problem, with my poor brother who can't do anything for himself, or get away at all. I won't be able to go to uni and do my work or enjoy my friends, I won't have any space of my own at all. The only way I can get out is to stay with my boyfriend who never cleans up after himself, whose room smells of dirty clothes and has dirty cups and used tissues all over the floor.
Okay, I'll calm down now. I'm hoping to rent a studio to share with a friend, where I can go and make stuff from time to time. Maybe there'll be room for a couch and a fridge with some beer. I have my life and my health, I live in a country where I can get an education, good health care, and I won't get shot, raped or mugged when I walk down the street. Life is great.
Piccies and happiness next blog.

No comments: