Friday, July 14, 2006

Lace Nuts

I have just found the most insane knitted lace here. It is absolutely incredible. I just don't understand doyleys and lace tablescloths though. They're beautiful and must be so rewarding to make, but I know that I would just end up having them folded up in a drawer somewhere for decades. Maybe if I had a mansion with millions of tables which need covering and vases to put on doyleys. I really prefer to wear my knitted stuff - I guess so I can show it off....
There are so many knitting podcasts now. I really wish I had time to download and listen to them all. I haven't even had time to listen to Cast On for a couple of months, which is my absolutely favouritest thing in the world to listen to. I love Brenda Dayne. I want to give her a big warm hug. When my brother was diagnosed with a brain tumour, he was in Newcastle, about 5 hours north of Canberra where I live. I stayed in Newcastle for about 2 weeks, miles away from everything I know: my home, my friends, my partner, everything familiar. I had no one to comfort me or to cry to. I'd had about 5 minutes to pack my bag before the plane left, and I had no idea that I was going for more than a couple of days - I'd thought we could bring him home immediately - so I had about 2 changes of clothes and my iPod, and just by chance that day I had uploaded about a dozen episodes of Cast On to it. Well I stayed at the hospital all that time, and my life seemed to be falling apart. My brother is 5 years older than me and we've always been very close. He's my hero, always has been. I can continue living through anything that gets thrown at me as long as I have my lovely brother. Words can't express it, you know what I mean. Some things are too profound even to contemplate. I spent most waking hours sitting by my brother, trying not to cry in front of him, while my family sent me crazy with their bizaare antics. During rest periods I would walk or run in the beautiful forest around the John Hunter Hospital and just listen to Cast On. I swear Brenda saved my sanity - she took me out of my situation and reminded me of the rest of the world at a time when the rest of the world didn't seem to exist, or matter particularly.
I knew I said this wouldn't be a journal, but I really had to explain how much I love Cast On! I really want to listen to It's a Purl, Man. I find male knitters fascinating. I've never met one. I bet they're really attractive. Actually, while I'm on the topic, have a look at Menknit Magazine. They have some great patterns, which, once again, I will have to try out some day. I really should put all these links up the side. Next time I have a while to spare to fool around with html I'll do that. Actually, just quickly, before I forget, there's also The Panopticon and Crazy Aunt Purl. See ya!

No comments: